Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Sep 29 22:51:23 BST 2007

Please discuss on kde-devel.

IIUC, we are making a new release.  I agree that this is needed.  We
should continue to make bug fix released and maintenance releases at
least till 4.0.0 is released.

I notice that we have some maintenance issues in KDEMultimedia.

We do not appear to support the new MusicBrainz/TunePimp.  IIUC, there
is a new server and a new protocol and that the old server is going to
be taken down soon.

We do not appear to support the latest releases of Ogg/Vorbis.  However,
MP3 works on OK with KDE players on my system.

I do not know the current status of aRts vs GLib.  I was running 1.5.1
with Fedora patches which seemed to work OK.  I am currently trying the
SVN 1.5 BRANCH without patches built against GLib-2.14.1 to see if it
will work.  If not, I will try to find some patches for a version newer
than 1.5.1.

It appears to be that, if possible, these issues should be addressed in
a maintenance release.

--
JRT