[kde-artists] Sane pseudo random colors; was: PieChart widget

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Sep 20 18:00:57 BST 2007

Olaf Schmidt said the following, On 2007-09-20 18:15:

> [ Jaroslaw Staniek, Do., 20. Sep. 2007 ]
>> BTW, regerding your screnshot, I am bit tired having all these colors
>> Qt::red, Qt::green, Qt::blue colors reminding me the MS DOS' CGA era.
>
> Every use of hard-coded colours is a bug:
> * They might clash with the user-chosen
> * They can create serious accessibility problems for partially-sighted users
> (colour blindness; people who need to use dark colour schemes because of
> light allergy)
>
>> How about defining the sequence of colors(in kdelibs?), probably based on
>> KDE 4's official palette. Such a sequence then can be used by default in KDE
>> apps in charts?
>
> Applications should use the KColorScheme to get reasonable foreground and
> background colours. They can also mix those colours with KColorUtils if they
> need more.

Olaf
This time I am not sure you're right :) You obviously do not want to print
documents with black backgrounds and white letters just because you're using
white-on-black color scheme. Sometimes the same occurs for print-previewing.

We're talking about default style for charts, and chart-like structures, not
about how to extrapolate (usually gray, white or black) QPalette::Window
color. Otherwise you're end up with monochrome documents.
The two areas are nearly orthogonal (although one can imagine additional
option for reusing QPalette::Window, QPalette::Button, etc.).

I am already mixing colors in Kexi 1.x GUI (in the way you mentioned), so this
app as you know, already supports accessibe color scheme pretty well.

That said, of course the additional colors could go into color schemes, thus
allowing to keep quality of the accessible schemes. So thanks for reminding this.

I'd like to offer such an addition for KDE 4.1, if possible.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek