KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 21:45:04 BST 2007

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Friday, 14. September 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Jakob Petsovits wrote:
>>> No way I can have a look at
>>> the "real" printout before I send it to the printer.
>>> (This in addition to the crappy page order in the "4 on 1" mode that CUPS
>>> applies, which is not configurable afaics. Or ghostscript? Don't know.)
>> CUPS supports and applies these page orders:
>>
>>   -o number-up-layout=btlr;   # Bottom to top, left to right
>>   -o number-up-layout=btrl;   # Bottom to top, right to left
>>   -o number-up-layout=lrbt;   # Left to right, bottom to top
>>   -o number-up-layout=lrtb;   # Left to right, top to bottom (default)
>>   -o number-up-layout=rlbt;   # Right to left, bottom to top
>>   -o number-up-layout=rltb;   # Right to left, top to bottom
>>   -o number-up-layout=tblr;   # Top to bottom, left to right
>>   -o number-up-layout=tbrl;   # Top to bottom, right to left
>>
>> Not crappy at all, if you ask me. Total control, whatever reasonable
>> order you may want.
>
> Oh, wow. Had I known that, the usefulness of kprinter would have multiplied
> for printing the lecture slides that I got from university.

Be prepared to loose this (and many other features that are *now* in
KDEPrint) in KDE4, at least temporarily, maybe permanently.

Or step up as one volunteer for a new developer team to be formed who
takes responsibility for at least a part of KDE4Print.

> On the other hand, it's not that straightforward to find out that it's even
> possible to apply such options, assuming that you know they exist at all.
>
>>> Er... nevermind.
>> Why? If we don't mind we'll not get an improvement in the future.
>
> Hehe :D
> Well, I certainly hope there'll be a nice GUI for this sometime in the future.

There's one already now. Try "gtklp".

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS