KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Fri Sep 14 20:44:18 BST 2007

On Friday, 14. September 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > No way I can have a look at
> > the "real" printout before I send it to the printer.
> > (This in addition to the crappy page order in the "4 on 1" mode that CUPS
> > applies, which is not configurable afaics. Or ghostscript? Don't know.)
>
> CUPS supports and applies these page orders:
>
>   -o number-up-layout=btlr;   # Bottom to top, left to right
>   -o number-up-layout=btrl;   # Bottom to top, right to left
>   -o number-up-layout=lrbt;   # Left to right, bottom to top
>   -o number-up-layout=lrtb;   # Left to right, top to bottom (default)
>   -o number-up-layout=rlbt;   # Right to left, bottom to top
>   -o number-up-layout=rltb;   # Right to left, top to bottom
>   -o number-up-layout=tblr;   # Top to bottom, left to right
>   -o number-up-layout=tbrl;   # Top to bottom, right to left
>
> Not crappy at all, if you ask me. Total control, whatever reasonable
> order you may want.

Oh, wow. Had I known that, the usefulness of kprinter would have multiplied
for printing the lecture slides that I got from university.
On the other hand, it's not that straightforward to find out that it's even
possible to apply such options, assuming that you know they exist at all.

> > Er... nevermind.
>
> Why? If we don't mind we'll not get an improvement in the future.

Hehe :D
Well, I certainly hope there'll be a nice GUI for this sometime in the future.

Thanks for the pointer,
  Jakob