KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 14:02:44 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 14 September 2007 11:26:36 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>>> Printing arbitrary page ranges/selections:
>>> ==========================================
>>> The ability in the KPrintDialog to select to print only certain pages in
>>> a non-continuous range, e.g. 1, 4, 6-10.  This option is only available
>>> under CUPS and not under any other Printing Systems or Qt.  Nice to keep,
>>> but not fatal, can wait for 4.1.
>> The support for this feature by CUPS is simply achieved by passing "-o
>> page-ranges=1,4,6-10" to CUPS. CUPS receives *all* the pages, and extracts
>> the desired ranges from the received jobfile.
>
> And this is extremely confusing.

I agree.

But at least it works (unlike some other important stuff in KDE3), and
works as it is designed; and it is also documented *how* it works, via
the "WhatsThis" help blurb.

> If you select one page only in a 10-page printout in KDE 3 and then check to
> see the print preview, you see all 10 pages. I know from experience it'll
> print only the pages I asked for, but I think it should be displaying only
> the pages that will be printed.
>
> In other words, the preview should happen after the page extraction. Which in
> turn means that it's probably a client-side feature. Since I know that
> KGhostView shows pages when I select Print Preview, I know it's still
> somewhere in KDE code.

>From what I know about the (also completely unmaintained) kghostview, it
also shows all the pages (but has a checkbox with each thumbnail to select
the page for printing or not).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS