KDE 4.0 SDK

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 5 01:05:11 BST 2007

Allen Winter wrote:
> We are thinking about doing a KDE 4.0 "Software Development Kit" in late October.
>
> This would be a real, operational, release of  kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs
> (and maybe some parts of kdebase). i.e, everything needed to write your own
> KDE 4 application.

In which case, kdebase/runtime seems like a good idea, unless you can
build apps but not run them :-).

> So we need to be "done" with kdesupport, kdelibs and kdepimlibs in about
> 6 weeks.  All unit tests should pass, apidox should be complete, etc.  Then
> we shut down these modules for all changes except bug fixes.  Leaving
> approx 2 months to work on apps before the big 4.0.0 release.

I assume SC/BC things would be exempt (specifically I assume this would
not change the level of freeze for things like kate, which are
quasi-applications and not API's in the strict sense).

> Comments on the idea of a KDE SDK release?

Personally, I think it would be nice if we could do a "sans-deprecated"
release if that's possible, meaning that those modules in the "sdk
release" would have to be clean of using deprecated (kde3support,
KDE_DEPRECATED) stuff. That way, right off the bat we don't have people
thinking about using them. The downside of course is that svn apps may
not compile against this :-) (but it would be good for anyone newly
porting from KDE3), and also we'd have to somehow conditionally compile
the "sdk release" :-(.

On that note, among other things it would be great if Mosfet could
comment on the status of kdefx. (I just realized I never added
KDE_DEPRECATED to stuff... will commit that tonight hopefully.)

--
Matthew
When in doubt, duct tape!