Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Oct 30 21:26:37 GMT 2007

On Tuesday, 30. October 2007 21:40, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > I'm using the default color scheme and indeed the highlight color (when
> > moving the mouse over items) in the detail view is barely visible. Over
> > white rows it's not visible at all, while over gray rows it's a slightly
> > lighter gray.
>
> I see this with BeOS (BeOS != default), but not "the default color
> scheme" (note: the only way currently to get "the default color scheme"
> is to remove the color entries from kdeglobals). The problem is how the
> hover color is calculated; highlight.light() is clearly going to be
> broken in some color schemes. Since KCU::mix(base, highlight) is not
> safe either (can lead to illegibility which IMO would be worse), I can't
> think offhand of a way to fix this that will work in all cases.
>
> In fact, the only thing that comes to mind is to define that
> Selection::AlternateBackground (currently unused) is for exactly this
> effect and "require" it to be set appropriately in the color scheme.

Currently the KFileItemDelegate implementation uses
  QColor hover = option.palette.color(QPalette::Highlight).light();
  hover.setAlpha(88);
to calculate the hover color.

I've just committed a fix to use:
  QColor hover = option.palette.color(QPalette::Highlight);
  hover.setAlpha(88);

instead. This works well with the BeOS color scheme, with the "default when
removing the color entries from kdeglobals" scheme and should also work with
other schemes :-)

If the hover effect of the current patch might be too obtrusive, maybe
adjusting the alpha value would be the way to go.

Bye,
Peter