KWin slowness (was Re: Release schedule clarifications)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 10:01:56 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Chris Howells wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry I can't be more specific at the moment, because I can't start
> > a kde4 desktop using kwin at all. As soon as the desktop is up and
> > running I get tons of dr.konqi crash dialogs from knotify4 and I can't
> > find a way to stop that currently.
>
> Well, the hacky work around ;)
>
> cd $KDEDIR/bin; mv knotify4 knotify4.crap
>
> I've not had much of a chance to look why knotify is crashing yet but
> it's getting a bit annoying now that it's been broken for quite a few days.

Here I found that knotify4 was blocking in xine stuff; I sent a full multi-thread backtrace to Matthias Kretz.
Meanwhile it would be very nice if knotify4 being blocked, didn't block any application talking to it
via DBus (like kwin), so I suggested to Olivier Goffart to separate the phonon-using thread from
the dbus-request-handling thread in the knotify4 daemon. With a simple queue between both threads.

Because of those issue I haven't committed the knotify4-autostart patch yet...
(so right now it only autostarts via the dbus-1 mechanism, i.e. not for everyone)