KConfig list entries vs. kde3 vs. desktop entry spec (Re: list separator in config entries)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 20:34:42 GMT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:20:20PM +0100, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> The 2nd approach might be preferred if your storing backend is not a
> ini style plain text file though. Given that we use KConfig to also
> read .desktop files, I don't see much of a choice than going with that
> for KDE 4.

as that's a backend detail, it is perfectly irrelevant what other
backends do.
on top of that, it is .desktop *files* ... anything else would be both
silly and not xdg-compliant anyway.
specifically about the ini backend: i wouldn't worry too much - we can
have a special case for that (read/writeXdgListEntry are special
anyway, i.e., we are past that point already).

> > - of course this means kconf_update-ing a lot.
>
> I wouldn't like such a kconf_update script. It would be quite slow I think.

shouldn't take a terrible lot of time to rewrite at most around 150 tiny
text files. the "did this already" marker would be stored in a single
file, of course.
anyway, there is little point in discussing this now, i guess ...