KConfig list entries vs. kde3 vs. desktop entry spec (Re: list separator in config entries)

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 20:20:20 GMT 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> 1st is architecturally cleaner. it allows doing the lowest-level
> decoding independently of what type the entry needs to be converted to
> later. however, as it turns out, this is irrelevant for both kconfig
> itself and - assuming kconfigXT-ification throughout - even our (still
> hypothetical?) config editor.

The 2nd approach might be preferred if your storing backend is not a ini style
plain text file though. Given that we use KConfig to also read .desktop
files, I don't see much of a choice than going with that for KDE 4. Now is
the right time to introduce such a breakage if we really need it.

That said, are there *many* cases to be affected? I haven't seen such a
complex encoding anywhere yet.

> - of course this means kconf_update-ing a lot.

I wouldn't like such a kconf_update script. It would be quite slow I think.

Greetings,
Dirk