Tagging Freeze in Effect

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Sat Oct 27 18:19:45 BST 2007

> It's so cool making those statements and not backing it up by actual
> facts. You keep telling us we suck without actually telling us what sucks.

Does the release team use the KDE4 desktop for their everyday, non-KDE work?

>> The desktop was not ready, so users did not report obvious low level
>> bugs.
>
> Ah, so now you are back to the desktop. We all agree that's in beta state
> for now.

Thankfully. But the way to know that things work is by testing. You test
the applications by using them. You test the libraries by ... using the
applications. And that requires sufficiently long-term use of the desktop,
as well as a lot of analysis, to try to figure out where the bugs actually
are. If an application seems buggy, it may actually be a library bug, and
it's often impossible to tell w/o fixing.

And I think you're asking the wrong question: it's not "why shouldn't it
be rc1", but rather "why should it be".

-Maks