KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:19:46 BST 2007

On 10/26/07, Jordi <mumismo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is the hype that comes with KDE 4.0
> Every Linux user I know is excited about the new mighty KDE. But what they
> expect for KDE 4.0 is not possible to be achieve for the KDE 4.0 release.
> more_than_usual amount of bugs that will be shipped, along with some
> features postponed till KDE 4.1.
> Users expect a new KDE full of new options. There are new apps and options
> but we are also just trying not to have regressions from KDE 3.5 in several
> other...
>

> Being so, I suggest a naming following user expectation .
>
> What has been so far called KDE 4.1 will be called KDE 4.0 final or simply
> KDE 4.0
>
> What has been so far called KDE 4.0 will be called (some options here):
>
> KDE 4 premiere edition
> KDE 4 premiere release
> KDE 4.0.premiere
>
> KDE 4 preview edition
> KDE 4 preview release
> KDE 4.0.preview
>
> KDE 4 krash edition
>
> KDE 4 unstable edition
>
> We can have premiere 2 , preview 2 , etc. (minor improvement and bugfix
> versions) As needed before 4.0
>
> I love "KDE 4 premiere" name . Because it means  "you are a VIP who will be
> using a 'stable' KDE 4 before anyone else, so prepare yourself to join the
> (bugs) party!"
> Also "premiere" has not been used for marking software releases (I think) so
> it can mean what we choose it to mean :P
>
> Of course, I am talking about names, about marketing. The real version
> naming of the libraries is totally unrelated.

I don't think we need a special naming or stuff like that. It is a .0
release. Everyone who expects it to be as stable as 3.5.8 should get
it's head out of the place wherever he/she put it. Even Microsoft
doesn't do that - and that's a big corporation who even FORCES
everyone to start running it's latest release. We don't do that, you
can even mix KDE 3.5 and 4.0 apps any way you want.

Can we please just let this go? If 4.0 is usable, it'll be good
enough. 4.1 can be released in 6 months, and most distros can figure
out for themselves if they want to ship 4.0 - take Kubuntu, it won't.
And Fedora was willing to release a RC for Fedora 7, so I'm sure they
have no problems with a less than perfect 4.0. OpenSuse has a huge
team of KDE developers, and they even ship 4.0 apps RIGHT NOW, so they
too are most likely willing to accept a less-than-perfect 4.0.

QUIT WHINING. This is FOSS. Release Early, Release Often. We'll get
flamed when it gets out, accept it. It won't matter if we release
summer next year (4.1) or RIGHT NOW - ppl will complain anyway, so
let's happily ignore the whiners, and work with those more
constructive and reasonable.

Sorry, haven't had time to read mail 1 freakin' day, and there are a
million threads with a million mails about this very subject...

In other words, I'm squarely behind Aaron on this and I think we all
should be. Lets get back to work, please.

damn, I'm really surprised by some comments. I have to explain these
issues to users every week (literally, I've given KDE speeches and/or
attended meetings every weekend for the last 6 weeks), and they get
it. Why can't the developers?

Instead of noticing how Aaron has fixed most fscking complaints DURING
the fscking discussion (he even found time for that), still more
complaints... meh.