KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Jordi mumismo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 05:05:58 BST 2007

The problem is the hype that comes with KDE 4.0
Every Linux user I know is excited about the new mighty KDE. But what they
expect for KDE 4.0 is not possible to be achieve for the KDE 4.0 release.
more_than_usual amount of bugs that will be shipped, along with some
features postponed till KDE 4.1.
Users expect a new KDE full of new options. There are new apps and options
but we are also just trying not to have regressions from KDE 3.5 in several
other...

Being so, I suggest a naming following user expectation .

What has been so far called KDE 4.1 will be called KDE 4.0 final or simply
KDE 4.0

What has been so far called KDE 4.0 will be called (some options here):

KDE 4 premiere edition
KDE 4 premiere release
KDE 4.0.premiere

KDE 4 preview edition
KDE 4 preview release
KDE 4.0.preview

KDE 4 krash edition

KDE 4 unstable edition

We can have premiere 2 , preview 2 , etc. (minor improvement and bugfix
versions) As needed before 4.0

I love "KDE 4 premiere" name . Because it means  "you are a VIP who will be
using a 'stable' KDE 4 before anyone else, so prepare yourself to join the
(bugs) party!"
Also "premiere" has not been used for marking software releases (I think) so
it can mean what we choose it to mean :P

Of course, I am talking about names, about marketing. The real version
naming of the libraries is totally unrelated.