KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Thu Oct 25 23:35:23 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I seriously doubt that.
> 4.0 sounds like finished.

And that's why people will not test out new software until it's released.
We've been trying other methods of improving the code quality including unit
tests but the fact of the matter is that the kind of testing code needs
(being installed on a gazillion machines) will not happen until it is
released, period.

Hardly anyone installs betas and even RCs.  Especially for KDE, as they'll
likely just be reinstalling all those megabytes of RPMs/tarballs over again
in a couple of weeks.

Now obviously we need to get rid of all the showstoppers and major bugs before
we release something we call 4.0.  But at some point we will hit the point of
diminishing returns on our own testing and bugfixing, (which is probably when
we should release IMO).

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne