KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Fri Oct 26 14:07:00 BST 2007

On Donnerstag 25 Oktober 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 25.10.07 21:59:03, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 October 2007, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > > I think that everybody who listened to the hype will also listen when
> > > tell them that 4.0 is expected to be somewhat buggy. The hype never
> > > included anything about bugs, so it's not even like we'd have to revoke
> > > previous statements. As long as the worst problems get fixed quickly
> > > some users may even find it interesting to see what software that isn't
> > > 100% finished looks like and watch the improvements :)
> >
> > I seriously doubt that.
> > 4.0 sounds like finished.
>
> No it doesn't, not in the open source world. A .0 release (at least for
> me) always means a few regressions, new bugs, some instabilities than
> the last .x release.

I think a lot of the confusion and disagreement here stems from the fact that
in the open source world, many projects have version numbers beginning
with "0." - e.g. 0.1.13 - but are rock-solid and stable.  Thus, "1.0"
versions are seldomly reached, but they stand for "the ultimately stable,
more or less feature-complete version" in discussions.  On the other hand,
there are projects with 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, ... versions, which is simply a
different way of counting.

I thus agree that KDE 4 must be more or less stable (it is not expected to be
a beta), but after thinking about it, I would not agree that "4.0 sounds like
finished".  But Alex wrote in the next sentence "a real release which can be
used ...", and I think KDE 4 should (and will) be that. :-)

Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.
    /  / ANS                                                  ooo