KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Thu Oct 25 20:27:08 BST 2007

On Donnerstag 25 Oktober 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the only way it could be a "ready for the enterprise" release is if 4.0 was
> very modest in its goals (it isn't) or if we held it back until it was
> "done" (which really wouldn't do us much good, either, though).

I *love* this paragraph!  It has to go into the release notes.. or at least be
published near them.  It's 100% true and expresses the situation very well.

> if this were a proprietary product we'd have the mandate to release this
> version to our pilot projects and 4.1 to the world with 4.2 being the
> first "service pack" or "hotfix" or "patchlevel" or whatever terminology
> was decided to be used.
>
> but we're an open source project; such project live by (or die by not)
> releasing early and often. the pace is more important than anything.

This should be kept in mind, too.

I fear the expectations may already be quite high, but after reading Aaron's
motivating post, I'll happily replace "fear" with "guess" at the beginning of
this sentence.

One thing that I still have in my mind is how much KDE 3 improved, not only in
stability and functionality, but also greatly in terms of efficiency and
speed.  Unfortunately, I know many people whose impression of KDE is still
strongly influenced by the first 3.0 release, which was kind of slow.
Probably, we should just remember this and make sure to tell everybody that
KDE4 will definitely get much faster in later versions, "as seen in KDE3".
Maybe people will recall the above change.

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.