KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Oct 25 20:20:01 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 20:54:27 Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >  i remember just how crappy 2.0 was on my machine then (a
> > PII 400 no less =): slow, buggy as hell, incomplete in many places,
> > relatively few apps....
> I have different memories.

I have also very different memories. Yes, it was pretty buggy (which meant
that konqueror crashed about once every 1-2 hours), had slow application
startups and took quite some memory on the machines back then.

But it still was totally  usable for a common user, had only little feature
regressions and was shipped e.g. by SUSE with the second edition of SUSE 7.0
as a default desktop.

Concerning you expectations that distributions won't ship KDE 4.0: I doubt
that very much:

- Journalists will be keen on reporting about KDE 4.0. If KDE 4 will e.g. will
lack a volume slider they will report that no matter whether you tell
them "Oh, this release is not meant to get used by people".

- Users will ask distributors to provide packages

- Product managers of big distributions are always keen on shipping brand new
software. Given that I don't expect that after KDE 4.0 gets released there
will be a second release KDE 4.1 within less than 4-6 months I'm _very_ sure
that KDE 4.0 will get shipped by distributions if the release falls into
their release cycle. Maybe not as the default desktop but still prominent
enough that distributors will be able to have a selling point.

So we better make the quality live up to the one of KDE 2. I'm pretty much
aware that there is no chance to fix all the feature regressions of plasma
compared to kicker 2. I don't even think it's necessary though:

Plasma should:

- enable the user to start every app available in KDE (works now)
- enable the user to easily access tasks (has issues)
- provide at least basic functionality: volume slider and a clock should be
enough (I don't see a volume slider yet ..)
- have no obvious usability issues (like the plasmoids in the panel which can
easily get accidently moved right now).

If those are there, work in a stable manner at sufficient speed then I'd agree
that we are ready for a .0 release. We seriously don't need all the fancy
options (like moving panel or taskbars to different screen boarders) but the
basic functionality should work without issues.

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz