KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 21:03:54 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 21:20:01, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> - enable the user to start every app available in KDE (works now)
> - enable the user to easily access tasks (has issues)

More specific? There are a few weird things happening when clicking with
the mouse in an un-occupied area in the panel, but thats nothing
serious. I can open/close the windows by clicking the items in the
taskmanager, I guess stacking when there are to many windows is still
missing (didn't test this).

> - provide at least basic functionality: volume slider and a clock should be
> enough (I don't see a volume slider yet ..)

Why should that be in the panel by default? There's no such thing in
kicker. You can have kmix in the systray, but that doesn't provide a
volume slider either, its only an icon than opens one of the soundcards
volume-options when clicked on it. And that works perfectly in KDE4 as
well.

> - have no obvious usability issues (like the plasmoids in the panel which can
> easily get accidently moved right now).

Yeah, kicker is much better there, oh wait. Only if you actually know
how to "fix" it. Else it can even happen that kicker collapses to the
left of two screens, by accidentally clicking and moving "some" part of
it - never found the logic behind that.

I do agree that we need a systray thats actually possible to have in the
panel. Also being able to fix the panel like kicker could be would be
good to have, but a serious usability issue - not sure about that.

> If those are there, work in a stable manner at sufficient speed then I'd agree
> that we are ready for a .0 release. We seriously don't need all the fancy
> options (like moving panel or taskbars to different screen boarders) but the
> basic functionality should work without issues.

For me it seems to be there :) Except maybe the speed issue on
Xinerama/MultiHead desktops.

Andreas

--
You will be misunderstood by everyone.