Release schedule clarifications

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 17:31:52 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Last but not least: The panel doesn't expand over both screens, but
> > > also
> >
> > it's not supposed to
>
> So I can't have it expand over both screens? :( I like that feature in
> kicker very much.

no, the concept is broken in many ways. for one, if you have two monitors with
different resolutions, then at which coordinates do you position the panel
exactly? when doing things like "show only windows on current screen" in a
taskbar where the taskbar is split between screens, what do you do? what
about odd scenarios where the monitors are not left-right but top-bottom?

multi-screen panels work in pretty much exactly one configuration: panel at
the top or bottom with 2 or more monitors with the same resolution in a
left-to-right configuration. they break in every pretty much every other
case.

moreover, it keeps the code much more simple when it comes to things such as
figuring out panel overlap/stacking/growing, the difference between vertical
and horizontal panels, ensuring that applets don't hang halfway between
screens, etc... it's also one less option to take into consideration when
managing panel geometries.

you can, of course, put a panel (or multiple panels) on each screen. this is
actually what i ended up doing when i used to have a xinerama set up at work.
even with kicker it worked better that way.

the only thing that works better with one panel on multiple screens is that
you could drag applets along the width of a panel without doing an external
drag and drop; so .... a fairly trivial improvement that isn't overly
annoying in the best of times.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se