Release schedule clarifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 16:30:45 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 09:21:46, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm reading this discussion and I'm very amazed that you and Andreas
> > > don't see the performance issue with Plasma. As I said in my blog, I
> > > have serious problems with it, and I have no idea what can be wrong.
> > > The CPU is fast, Opteron dual core, the graphics card is not that fast,
> > > but should be enough (NVidia FX5500, with the binay driver). I tried
> > > with or without KWin, with or without composite extension enabled,
> > > still just moving the mouse over a taskbar button, or moving a plasma
> > > applet or right clicking on the desktop gives me high CPU load (60-100%
> > > combined plasma + xorg). The resolution is 1600x1200 plus a 800x600
> > > separate screen for TV out.
> >
> > WOW, yeah. All my tests until now were on the AMD1.3GHz machine with an
> > NVidia GeForce2 (nv driver) with only 1 small 1024x768 screen.
> >
> > I just tested the kde4 desktop on my Laptop, which has a Xinerama setup
> > with 1400x1050+1680x1050 desktop and the KDE4 desktop doesn't work very
> > well there.
>
> i have no xinerama systems to test on here. people will come in to #plasma and
> complain about it and will sometimes give some minimal system information,
> but we *really* need someone with a xinerama set up to test on and work on
> these things.

My initial reaction to that would be raising a hand, however that would
mean I'd have to dive into plasma, which I'm not sure I have the time
for right now. I'll try to have a look during the weekend. Another thing
is that I still run a "real" Xinerama setup with the opensource radeon
driver, not the XRandR 1.2 version from Xorg 7.3 (that one doesn't work
at all here), so I'm not sure how future proof my findings are. It might
all be better with XRandR1.2, which AFAIK mostly works like the NVidia
and ATI special-multi-screen things (named TwinView or MergedFB), by
having 2 screens lookingo a large graphic buffer.

> > I can't seem to drag any applet onto the panel, which worked on the
> > other machine, more importantly dragging around the analog clock makes
> > the cpu usage go through the roof, both from plasma and Xorg process.
>
> when was this svn checkout from?

Yesterday, I'm going to rebuild in an hour or so.

> > The desktop-widget doesn't expand correctly, the 2nd button is partly
> > outside the screen.
>
> screenshots would be great.

K, I'll try, though I never tried to use ksnapshot-kde4 or -kde3 in kde4
session...

> the desktop toolbox isn't completed in any case.

Yeah, its just strange because it works much better on the
single-head-small-screen machine.

> > I have 2 desktop widget even, one on each screen.
>
> that's intended, not a bug.

Ah, wasn't sure, but indeed quite good idea :)

> > Last but not least: The panel doesn't expand over both screens, but also
>
> it's not supposed to

So I can't have it expand over both screens? :( I like that feature in
kicker very much.

> > @Aaron: I'm going to file bugreports about all of these as soon as b.k.o
> > is back online again.
>
> please be sure you're using today's svn.

Ok, then I'll first rebuild everything.

Andreas

--
You definitely intend to start living sometime soon.