Release schedule clarifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 17:36:42 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 10:31:52, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > it's not supposed to
> >
> > So I can't have it expand over both screens? :( I like that feature in
> > kicker very much.
>
> no, the concept is broken in many ways. for one, if you have two monitors with
> different resolutions, then at which coordinates do you position the panel
> exactly? when doing things like "show only windows on current screen" in a
> taskbar where the taskbar is split between screens, what do you do? what
> about odd scenarios where the monitors are not left-right but top-bottom?
>
> multi-screen panels work in pretty much exactly one configuration: panel at
> the top or bottom with 2 or more monitors with the same resolution in a
> left-to-right configuration. they break in every pretty much every other
> case.

Understood and accepted :) I do use that one configuration though, but I
guess I can as well work with 2 panels, once that feature is available.

> you can, of course, put a panel (or multiple panels) on each screen. this is
> actually what i ended up doing when i used to have a xinerama set up at work.
> even with kicker it worked better that way.

The only downside with my current setup is that I need to fix kicker,
else it sometimes jumps back to being on only 1 screen (IIRC when
accidentally  moving an applet)

> the only thing that works better with one panel on multiple screens is that
> you could drag applets along the width of a panel without doing an external
> drag and drop; so .... a fairly trivial improvement that isn't overly
> annoying in the best of times.

Well, for me its also that I'd need the space for the taskmanager, I
have 1.25 screens for that currently, which is pretty impossible with 2
panels I think.

Andreas

--
Increased knowledge will help you now.  Have mate's phone bugged.