Release schedule clarifications

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Oct 25 12:37:22 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 12:48:18 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> 1/4th my screen (size 500) makes plasma go 15% and X11 go all the way up
> to 85%, the standard size of 125 takes more plasma cpu (20-30%) but only
> 60% of xorg. I guess I don't need to say that moving such a big clock is
> absolutely not smooth. With half-the-size its still somewhat acceptable,
> but already jumpy a bit.

Same here. E.g. while I drag the yellow notes around I get a consistent

30% CPU usage of plasma and at the same time
78% CPU usage of XOrg while doing so on a

Thinkpad X60s (Centrino Duo 1.6 GHz,  Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS/940GML), preloaded with Kubuntu Feisty.

And that's the best case among the 3 computers I have here (The worst one
being a Toshiba Satellite 2430 where the notes move around at a low framerate
of about 1fps - and I guess CPU usage isn't better while doing so.

That being said CPU usage is pretty fine if plasmoids don't get moved: It's at
about 0-1% then (even with lots of plasmoids on the screen plasma only
sporadically hits 4-6% for a very short period of time about every minute
just to return to 0%).

WORKSFORME doesn't help here as judging from Marble development it's pretty
obvious to me that performance of various graphics stuff varies greatly on
X11 for different computers (much less so on Windows :-/ ).

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz