Release schedule clarifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 11:48:18 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 04:05:22, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> > As for use cases where the CPU usage goes up: it's actually any situation
> > where you repaint repeatedly. Try moving a plasma applet around your
> > desktop and watch the CPU usage (maybe this happens with plain windows as
> > well, I didn't try that). In fact, just moving the digital clock in my
> > panel somewhere else caused a spike of 5% CPU usage (a short spike though,
> > it's not like I keep dragging my clock around the pannel all day long).
>
> draging a rather large digital clock applet all around the desktop for 10-15s
> results in plasma taking .3% cpu, and x.org taking 5-8%. doing the same with
> a dolphin window of comparable size results in x.org taking 15% of my cpu.

1/4th my screen (size 500) makes plasma go 15% and X11 go all the way up
to 85%, the standard size of 125 takes more plasma cpu (20-30%) but only
60% of xorg. I guess I don't need to say that moving such a big clock is
absolutely not smooth. With half-the-size its still somewhat acceptable,
but already jumpy a bit.

This is with XFWM4 as windowmanager, not kwin-kde4.

> now, i'll add that right now the wallpaper painting in plasma is dismal: it
> re-blits the WHOLE desktop paper on each repaint when it's pulled from an svg
> (as it currently is even though the wallpaper is a bit map ... for whatever
> screwed up reason, but it wasn't my idea =) so this is nearly a worst case
> scenario situation, really.

Background wallpaper doesn't work on that machine at all, I get a
completely white background. Didn't yet investigate.

> btw, right now kwin is unusable for me. it absolutely kills the performance of
> my kde4 session. i'm currently using xfwm4 and the difference is instant.

Agreed. I suspect some kwin hackers spent a bit too much time on
Composite-Enabled machines :) (no offense meant here)

Andreas

--
Your step will soil many countries.