KConfig::checkUpdate()

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Oct 21 13:56:10 BST 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:13:00PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 20 October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > no legacy code in apps). any application run outside kde that does
> > not use this function explicitly is going to miss its updates ...
>
> well, most apps simply don't need to care about it. iirc in the case
> of kmail, it's a potential data loss issue so it really matters. but
> for most apps if the user does something silly or an update doesn't
> run the worse that happens is that the configuration defaults are used
> and the user has to reconfigure by hand.

errm ... "screw the idiots who use kde apps outside kde, they can
reconfigure on upgrade" ... WTF!?

> > a possible solution might be a policy like "the .upd file should be
> > named after the (target!) rc file", so kconfig could automatically
>
> this would mean requiring that all .upd files only act on one file.
> some act on multiples files; the File argument accepts a comma
> seperated list right now. probably not a show stopper in any case,

yup.

> just means more .upd files though that impacts desktop startup times
> as they will each get processed on log in.

for full sessions a kcoupca (kconfig_update cache ;) would be thinkable
- i guess we should do this in either case. somebody wants to think
about it?

> speaking of startup times, i wonder if we could get rid of all the
> kde3 .upd files for 4.0 so that we don't haul that legacy around with
> us ... or would that be too potentially disruptive?

i was shot when i suggested nobody would upgrade from kde 3.5 to kde
4.2. i guess kde 3.4 to kde 4.0 is about the same scenario.