KConfig::checkUpdate()

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 22:47:13 BST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 20 October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > hoi,
> >
> > i sent this mail four years ago to waldo, but it stayed without
> > echo. now i stumbled over the matter again, so here we go:
> >
> > no legacy code in apps). any application run outside kde that does
> > not use this function explicitly is going to miss its updates ...
>
> well, most apps simply don't need to care about it. iirc in the case
> of kmail, it's a potential data loss issue so it really matters. but
> for most apps if the user does something silly or an update doesn't
> run the worse that happens is that the configuration defaults are
> used and the user has to reconfigure by hand.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. It can happen that Konqueror (or more
precisely kio_khttp) keeps sending out a user agent string one has
configured ages ago and that doesn't appear anywhere in the
configuration dialog of an up-to-date Konqueror. This happened to me
and I only found this problem because some web page didn't work with
Konqueror and the web admin replied to my complaint by telling me that
they do actually test their web site with Konqueror, but that I'm
sending out a "Netscape 4.78" user agent string. I went to check the
configuration of Konqueror. It claimed that Konqueror would use his
standard user agent string. A short test with wireshark proofed that
Konqueror was lying. Only by grepping $KDEHOME/share/config I found the
problem in kio_httprc.

So much for "the worse that happens is that the configuration defaults
are used". Most of our users would not have been able to solve the
above problem. Yes, most of our users also probably would not have
changed the user agent string in the first place. But then again
changing the user agent string used to be a very popular work-around
for getting some websites to accept Konqueror.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that bad things can happen and did
happen.

Regards,
Ingo