KConfig::checkUpdate()

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 20 20:13:00 BST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> hoi,
>
> i sent this mail four years ago to waldo, but it stayed without echo.
> now i stumbled over the matter again, so here we go:
>
> no legacy code in apps). any application run outside kde that does not
> use this function explicitly is going to miss its updates ...

well, most apps simply don't need to care about it. iirc in the case of kmail,
it's a potential data loss issue so it really matters. but for most apps if
the user does something silly or an update doesn't run the worse that happens
is that the configuration defaults are used and the user has to reconfigure
by hand.

> a possible solution might be a policy like "the .upd file should be
> named after the (target!) rc file", so kconfig could automatically

this would mean requiring that all .upd files only act on one file. some act
on multiples files; the File argument accepts a comma seperated list right
now. probably not a show stopper in any case, just means more .upd files
though that impacts desktop startup times as they will each get processed on
log in.

speaking of startup times, i wonder if we could get rid of all the kde3 .upd
files for 4.0 so that we don't haul that legacy around with us ... or would
that be too potentially disruptive?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se