KConfig::checkUpdate()

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Oct 20 19:16:13 BST 2007

hoi,

i sent this mail four years ago to waldo, but it stayed without echo.
now i stumbled over the matter again, so here we go:

--------
another thing ... KConfig::checkUpdate() ... the presence of this
function indicates a conceptual fault, i think - there should be no need
for such manual action (after all, the idea of kconf_update was to have
no legacy code in apps). any application run outside kde that does not
use this function explicitly is going to miss its updates ...
a possible solution might be a policy like "the .upd file should be
named after the (target!) rc file", so kconfig could automatically
determine that the file needs to be updated (if it's older than the .upd
file or missing at all).
--------

according to lxr, the only user is kmail/kmstartup.cpp, so either the
problem is virtually non-existent, generally underrated or it was solved
somehow ...