libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 14:04:20 BST 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 16.10.07 11:08:43, Pino Toscano wrote:
>> Alle martedì 16 ottobre 2007, Thomas Zander ha scritto:
>>> Simply objecting without giving alternate solutions doesn't help the open
>>> discussion. What do you have in mind as an alternate solution?
>> Fixing kdelibs?
>
> So far nobody was able to, though I have to admit I don't recall the
> exact problems right now.

There were no *major*, no *fundamental* problems.

There was bit-rotting, and non-maintenance, and KDEPrint came out of
sync with new features added to late CUPS 1.1.x, and to CUPS 1.2, and
to CUPS 1.3 (see bugzilla bugs #130423 + #130425 + #149546 for some
more details).

>> (That, from my point of view, is more or less working, as I can print preview
>> and print to file, at least.)
>
> See above, though I doubt that there are no problems, if there weren't
> any people wouldn't have started the discussion at all.

The problems were *not* like they were impossible to solve by keeping
the fundamental KDEPrint design/architecture as it was, basically. At
least that is still my amateurish understanding.

It was just that nobody stepped forward to adopt the module, and start
maintaining it again, and fix any deficiencies, and add PDF-supporting
features reqested by KWord.

Until Thomas said (that's my own paraphrasing now) "I want it changed
in a fundamental way anyway, because KOffice will output PDF for prin-
ting (and will output PDF only), and KDEPrint3 doesn't support it at
the moment, so I propose to fix it by adding more features to Qt and
to Qt-printing (possibly most features that are in KDEPrint3 now)
which I can do during paid work hours and 'Acracadabra!' -- all current
maintenance problems for future core printing code are easily solved at
the same time, because Trolltech will take care of it!"

Too unfair a summary, or not?

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS