libkdeprint

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Oct 16 10:48:10 BST 2007

On 16.10.07 11:08:43, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle martedì 16 ottobre 2007, Thomas Zander ha scritto:
> > >
> > > From okular's point of view, no.
> >
> > Simply objecting without giving alternate solutions doesn't help the open
> > discussion. What do you have in mind as an alternate solution?
>
> Fixing kdelibs?

So far nobody was able to, though I have to admit I don't recall the
exact problems right now.

> (That, from my point of view, is more or less working, as I can print preview
> and print to file, at least.)

See above, though I doubt that there are no problems, if there weren't
any people wouldn't have started the discussion at all.

> > In other words; Do you have a suggestion on how to solve the HUGE problem
> > that we have a LOT of code rotting on KDELibs that we have to maintain BC
> > for the next couple of years?
>
> Then it's better to create HUGE regressions?
> Are you going to explain that to okular users that they will NOT be able to
> print PDF, PS, DVI and DjVu documents?

I don't see tons of users using KDE4.0 anyway and there's enough time to
fix the issue for KDE 4.1.

> > I offered a solution for the Okular problem (talk to Cups directly), what
> > is wrong with that solution?
>
> a) it's not portable (and I want 100% portability for okular, sorry if I have
> portability in mind)

kdeprint wasn't portable either, so thats not an argument.

> b) it's too late for us to develop such solution
> c) it's a (stupid) workaround, worse than even copy the whole kdeprint within
> okular

Well, then why not do that?

> > Thank you for being constructive! :)
>
> Sorry, but the objections to the QPrinter solution were raised before (for
> example by Albert), but they were happily rejected.
> How can I being "costructive" this way, when any other solution than QPrinter
> was simply rejected?

Maybe because until now there has been nobody coming up with patches to
fix kdeprint. People saying kdeprint should be fixed is fine, but
without actual code its not going to happen and apparently kdeprint is
an undocumented, slightly messy library which is close to impossible to
maintain.

Sometimes you have to crack an (or two) egg to make an omelette ;)

Andreas

--
Don't worry so loud, your roommate can't think.