move ldap ioslave into kdepim(libs)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 9 21:53:39 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007, David Faure wrote:
>
> > > The question is irrelevant, as libraries are usually not packaged in the
> > > same package like kioslaves are.
> > However I still wonder how many kde apps use the
> > imap4/ldap/mbox/nntp/pop3/sieve/smtp kioslaves, other than those in kdepim.
>
> then they should be in kdepim, if there is nothing else depending on it.
Which proves my point: there is not much of a reason for those kioslaves to be
in kdebase/runtime, if they are not a runtime dependency of KDE apps [kdepim aside].

> right
> now we have however several extragear modules that depend on kdepim, because
> they can't get runtime/buildtime dependencies straight.
Seems orthogonal to the issue at hand.

> I've checked, and kdebase/runtime still requires kdepimlibs, because the kfax
> stuff requires libkabc.
The "kdeprint fax" stuff which should be disabled from compilation because kdeprint
is being deprecated? Doesn't sound like a big reason for that unnecessary dependency....

> So afterall, the move of the kioslaves to kdepimlibs did not solve anything
> and only violated the runtime/buildtime separation we've been trying to
> establish for years now. So we're back in the old and dark middle ages.
Well, so those slaves should move to kdepim... we're not back, we're one step
closer to the right organization... for a very long time people have been saying:
those slaves do not belong in kdebase. Remember kio_newimap4 in kdepim? ;)
So if they shouldn't be in a libs module (which I agree with; btw kdelibs/kioslave has
the same issue ;), then they should be in kdepim. If one day we have hundreds of
apps which have a dependency on kdepim just because of those slaves then we can
split out a kdepim-runtime module but I doubt this will ever be the case :)

I wonder if mailody wouldn't be such an app though (runtime dependency on kio_imap,
and currently no dependency on kdepim?). If that's the case, then in the absence
of kdepim/runtime, I don't see what the big problem is with kdepimlibs/kioslave;
it makes kdepimlibs provide _both_ buildtime and runtime dependencies for pim apps,
to avoid infinitely-splitted source modules... Why can't distributors who split stuff,
split kdepimlibs/kioslave from the rest of kdepimlibs?