Desktop directory icons

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Oct 4 15:56:06 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 03:05:34PM +0100, Robert Knight wrote:
> In the Open With... dialog and in Kickoff before today, the icons for
> the application categories ("Games","Education","Programming" etc.)
> did not show up.  It seems that the KServiceGroup items are based on
> the .desktop files in /usr/share/desktop-directories which I presume
> shipped with my distribution (Kubuntu 7.04) and have somewhat odd icon
> names (eg. the icon for the 'Games' group is 'gnome-joystick') which
> do not match the names of the appropriate Oxygen icons (which I guess
> are from the fd.o standard?)
>
> I temporarily worked around this by adding a map from the icon names
> reported by the KServiceGroup items (which come from the
> /usr/share/desktop-directory files) to the names of the appropriate
> Oxygen icons.
>
> Does anyone know what the correct solution to this is?

It's not clear what your setup is here.  I'm guessing its KDE 3 and
it's self compiled and you have something of Ubuntu gnome installed in
which case KDE will look for the XDG application menu in
/etc/xdg/application.menu.  Since we can't overlap files, Kubuntu puts
the KDE menu at /etc/xdg/kde-application.menu and uses this patch
http://kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/43_hardcode_xdgMenuPrefix.diff

Of course if you have self compiled sources you should also have a
self compiled /etc/xdg/application.menu, but maybe you installed gnome
after compiling.

It's certainly not correct to change parts of KDE to use Gnome icon
names.

Jonathan