Desktop directory icons

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:05:34 BST 2007

Hi,

In the Open With... dialog and in Kickoff before today, the icons for
the application categories ("Games","Education","Programming" etc.)
did not show up.  It seems that the KServiceGroup items are based on
the .desktop files in /usr/share/desktop-directories which I presume
shipped with my distribution (Kubuntu 7.04) and have somewhat odd icon
names (eg. the icon for the 'Games' group is 'gnome-joystick') which
do not match the names of the appropriate Oxygen icons (which I guess
are from the fd.o standard?)

I temporarily worked around this by adding a map from the icon names
reported by the KServiceGroup items (which come from the
/usr/share/desktop-directory files) to the names of the appropriate
Oxygen icons.

Does anyone know what the correct solution to this is?

Regards,
Robert.