Proposal of a crossdesktop interface to query several properties about the state-of-the-desktop

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Tue Nov 27 21:59:31 GMT 2007

> But, come to think of it, D-Bus is completely unnecessary there. Just make
> KGlobalSettings or KDesktopSettings have _mac.cpp and _win.cpp files. It
> avoids the extra roundtrip.

Errmm... talking about "crossdesktop" we mean that:

- Run Kaffeine on Gnome: ask the current state of the system (it depends on
the gnome _current_ state of the system ! not on a _saved_ config file by the
kde libraries).

- Run Totem on KDE4: Plasma will see that Totem is playing a full screen
movie, and it shouldn't start the screensaver, instead of totem
sending "fake" key press events (I assume it does so or a hack like that
[kaffeine does]).

- And more more examples... is not all about a saved config file that our KDE
apps read and write, is about the current state of the desktop.

> >  WRT D-BUS interfaces, does somebody know how well it works over the
> > network, if at all?
>
> Nitpick: D-Bus.
>
> It works just fine over the network. It's unencrypted, unauthenticated and
> there's no default bus over the network. You have to create your own code
> using libdbus-1 directly to open a DBusServer on a TCP socket and connect
> to it, or modify your dbus-daemon configuration to listen on a TCP port.

Well, our idea is only locally. The idea as explained is that you ask the
freedesktop interface, and you have a daemon running (it doesn't matter if on
the gnome or kde desktop), you get a response depending on the current state
of the system and you take decisions based on that.

--
Rafael Fernández López

GPG Fingerprint: B9F4 4730 43F8 FFDD CC5E BA8E 724E 406E 3F01 D070