kde vs. locales

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Nov 25 16:25:15 GMT 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 05:02:26PM +0100, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [...] but note that the various other LC_* need to be set up
> > according to kde settings as well if the user does not subscribe to
> > one locale wholesale.
>
> To me this looks plain impossible. Each LC_* is a collection of
> various settings (e.g. try locale -c LC_NUMERIC -k), and can only by
> accident correspond to KDE settings.

that's why i suggested offering a list of locales, only displaying the
individual settings. if a user wants to override these, he enters the
realm of kde-only settings. of course that requires understanding
libintl locale settings in the first place.

anyway, that's not what i was talking about. one might want
LC_MONETARY=de_DE, LC_NUMERIC=de_DE, LC_MESSAGES=en_US and LANG=C for
the rest - this isn't even far from what i have currently.

> > anyway, assuming you subscribe to this task, i'd suggest you just start
> > implementing "perfect" and see what problems pop up.
>
> I can't even commit to the other scenario right now, would have to
> investigate too much.
> Thought more like, Albert adds the GUI/config, you handle the startup
> stuff, I fix i18n internals. Granted, that means I do almost nothing
> :)

hmpf. ;)