kde3/kde4 co-installability again

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Nov 23 23:33:41 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2007-11-23, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> >> And I agree too.  Should any of the following have the '4' removed from their name?
> >> kbuildsycoca4
>
> Does this generate backwards compatible databases? will it do so in the
> future ?
No, and it even generates a separate ksysoca4 file so as not to mess up kde3 apps.

> >> kcmshell4
>
> Is this able to read both kde3 and kde4 kcm stuff=
No (incompatible modules)

> >> kcookiejar4
> >> kded4
>
> Is this able to handle kde3 kded modules?
No (incompatible modules)

> >> kdeinit4
>
> Is this able of launching and communicating with kde3 stuff?
No (incompatible modules, different IPC mechanism)

Why did I bother doing all this if people want to undo it all now? :/

> >> kdostartupconfig4
> >> kstartupconfig4
Was only renamed instead of moved to libexec to keep startkde fast, small internal detail.

> >> kfile4
User tool, I don't care if it's called kfile instead and handled by alternatives.

> >> khotnewstuff4
Dunno.

> >> kshell4
> >> kwrapper4
Same as kdeinit4, those are about loading kde4-based modules.

> >> meinproc4
Clearer.

> > Forgot these too:
> > kde4automoc
> > kde4-config
>
> isn't kde?-config the app that shows install paths, libdirs and such ?
Yep. Helps when having both kdelibs in *different* prefixes, but both in the path.
At least cmake always picks up the right one. Nice heh? :)

> I don't think any of these mentioned here should have their "4" removed.
Me neither. This isn't ONLY about the "same prefix" case, it's also about some hopes
of things working when they are in different prefixes but you want to start kde3 and kde4
apps in the same session. Initially k3foo would start kde4's kdeinit or vice-versa,
so nothing worked. So do keep my 4s in kdelibs stuff at least!