KGlobalSettings and eyecandy on open/save dialogs

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Nov 23 17:34:57 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 of November 2007, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi all again,
>
> Apart from the previous mail I sent about the eyecandy on open/save dialogs
> (I still would like to know if a variation of this patch [a patch of this
> kind] can be committed to SVN at our current state), I also blogged about
> the stuff, and as always, we had interesting input.
>
> Someone suggested users should be able to disable absolutely all the
> animations on the sytem (on Dolphin for example we have lots of small
> animations, as well as on KDirOperator & more). I know some of you won't
> agree because of what I learnt from Aaron and his talks: "stuff just
> doesn't resize or (dis)appear", but I consider this a major topic:
> performance.

 Actually I think those suggestions were from people who don't think stuff
just fades in, would feel too bothered to wait for animations, or are
otherwise old-fashioned.

> On low performance computers, I am completely sure the user will love to
> disable all the animations of the system. For this, I would suggest a new
> method on the KGlobalSettings class that all apps that are running effects
> should take in count. I have searched for something on our libraries that
> is able to set or get this setting, but I failed, so I suppose there is no
> such option.
>
> I can consider this suggestion almost a bugfix, because if I'm right that
> there is no way of disabling this effects, we will have a problem on slow
> systems, and we also would like to run nicely on really slow systems.
>
> The other question I have: can this option be created for 4.0.0 ? can the
> effect for open/save dialog be committed when improved for 4.0.0 [I'd like
> to review it tonight] ?

 Aren't we supposed to be at RC1 now and making things work? I think the
option would make sense (and allowing it in is up to the release team BTW),
unless you'd go over all of KDE and make it obey the option there'd be no
point in having an option that nothing uses anyway. You can still add the new
API in 4.0.1.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz