libkfile still links agains qt3support

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Nov 23 09:37:31 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > I just noted that libkfile still links against qt3support. The only reason
> > for this seem to be the KDE3 support classes K3FileTreeView(Item) and
> > KFileTreeBranch. Those are not used by any of the KDE4 classes in libkfile.
> > Shouldn't they be moved to kde3support, instead (I wouldn't know how to do
> > this, though)?
>
> Ok, I now have a patch to move those classes to kde3support and hence make
> kfile kde3support free. kdelibs compiles with no problems, but I have *not*
> bothered with the rest of KDE (takes ages to compile on this machine). An app
> using some KDE4 classes from kfile links and runs fine. Not posting the
> entire patch, as it's huge due to the moved files. svn status output at the
> end of this mail.
>
> So now the question is do we want this? It adds add dependency on kfile in
> kde3support, so adds bloat there, but removes bloat in kfile. Of course it is
> BIC and SIC to those apps that use these classes, since it moves them between
> directories and libraries, so ideally this should no longer be done, now. On
> the other hand, for the same reason, if this is not done now, that probably
> means it cannot ever be done in KDE 4 lifetime, so kfile will always depend
> on kde3support.
>
> So what to (not) do?

IMHO: commit on Monday if you can double-check kde compilation before.
Otherwise send me the patch and I'll do that.

There shouldn't be too many kde apps linking to libkfile, most simply use KFileDialog from libkio [which dlopens libkfile].
But there are a few (those which use KDirOperator for instance).