kwin default window button order.

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Thu Nov 22 19:44:47 GMT 2007

On Donnerstag, 22. November 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > most people I know
>
> gurk.
>
> a) 'most people i know' does not a usability argument make. few things are
> as annoying as the 'most people i know' comments because everyone knows a
> different set of people and there is variance between those sets with none
> of them being representative (unless you really know a hell of a lot of
> people in a lot of different peer groups and pay attention to all of their
> computer behaviour, making it representative)

Even a small sample can point to the correct answer. Especially because the
contect was not the position, but how they maximise windows and whether that
button is used more often then the close button.

> b) most people do what they've learned given the options available and the
> teaching they received. it says almost nothing about how good the tool or
> the teacher is. if we simply write to what people do now, we will
> seriouesly impair any progress towards "better".

If I remember correctly the email I answered was about how often people use
the maximise-button compared to the close-button, so I think you catched the
wrong context for your rants. There was nothing about where the button should
go to.

I do agree with you though. Let's hope we do not get an oxygen windeco that
those developing it say "most people I know" like it.

Sven