kwin default window button order.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 22 16:57:00 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> most people I know

gurk.

a) 'most people i know' does not a usability argument make. few things are as
annoying as the 'most people i know' comments because everyone knows a
different set of people and there is variance between those sets with none of
them being representative (unless you really know a hell of a lot of people
in a lot of different peer groups and pay attention to all of their computer
behaviour, making it representative)

b) most people do what they've learned given the options available and the
teaching they received. it says almost nothing about how good the tool or the
teacher is. if we simply write to what people do now, we will seriouesly
impair any progress towards "better".

the question is if that matters at all, i suppose. i'd suggest that since
everyone else's software is also a moving target, practicing "write primarily
to what people do today" will end up with kde being attractive to an ever
diminishing group of people who used computers between 1984 and 200x. but
that's not actually accurate:

truth be told, kde does change ... but it's usually reactive to some other
desktop software introducing that feature first. so it's ok for them to
change and try things, but not us; however, once they try something, then
it's good enough fo rus. interesting; why not simply do some things that make
more sense *before* them in the first place? you know, when it occurs to us
to do it? obviously we won't have every idea first, but sometimes we do. the
times when we've actually gone ahead and done that, it's worked out more
often than not. we should practice care and not become a crazy bag of
experiments, but we're hardly in danger of becoming anything near that any
time soon at the current pace of thinking.

yeah, this goes to the core of what i dislike about attitudes in free software
desktop development when it comes to user interface.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se