kwin default window button order.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 22 08:22:00 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007, Simon Edwards wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it's a matter of categorization and positioning, with the aim to make it
> > easier for people to sort it out. there's also the Fitt's Law issue with
> > having maximize in the top left, though few seem to care about that
> > (granted, it mostly benefits people using maximized windows)
>
> Fitt's law doesn't apply in this (special) case. If you need the
> maximise button then the window is not maximised and chances are the
> maximise button is _not_ positioned in the top left corner of the
> screen. Which means that the target area of the maximise button is just
> the button itself, and not the screen edges.

maximize becomes restore. meaning it is the next most likely button after
close to benefit from Fitts Law (think about it, both why close is more of a
contender and why maximize is second)

> > i know that there are people who are very used to all the buttons being
> > on the right and don't like it any other way. i'm just not sure that's a
> > good enough reason to submit everyone else to that as a default.
>
> Changing the buttons around like this is murder for those of us that
> work in mixed environments daily. (I've tried this a few years back).
> Any benefit of the new configuration is outweighed by disadvantage that
> it is so nonstandard.

perhaps. i suppose we screw over one crowd or another with this approach,
though it's safer not to screw over the windows crowd due to numbers.

sad that we can't actually improve things due to this. maybe i'll revisit it
in a few years when we have the market share to matter. then again, maybe
we'd have that quicker if we actually made a *better* system. ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se