kwin default window button order.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Nov 15 09:17:50 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15. November 2007 00:28:22 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday 15 November 2007 00:04:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > this is a small thing, but small things make life better. i believe this
> > would be worthwhile add to kde4. it was also a nice 15 minute break from
> > plasma code ;)
>
> Another small thing (sorry for hijacking) would be the double-clock action
> on the window border to maximise (and not shade) the window. What do people
> think about that?

As Aaron said; this is not really about preference or what works best for the
simple reason that that is based on the users past experiences.

There is one reason that I'd like to bring forward; doing shade using double
click is actually the only way many people can find it. While maximize is
still available as a button itself.

So the suggestion is actually to remove the shade option just to allow two
top-level ways to maximize.
Its not like maximize was not a discoverably feature...

Oh, and relevant point here is that the suggestion of the original mail on
this thread makes it less of a risk to click on the maximize button.  People
may not realize this, but the fact that it currently is 2 mm from the close
button makes a lot of users nervous and when they accidentally clicked the
close button by mistake (loosing work) people will (subconsciously) avoid
using the button from then on.  So, it may feel like its more convenient, a
big part is because the 'official' button feels dangerous. Moving the button
(as Aarons mail suggests) solves the real problem.

Bottom line the only reason (IMOHO) why removing the access to 'shade' in
order to allow 2 ways to maximaze would be acceptable is if nobody is using
the 'shade' feature and you don't hurt anyone by removing that default. But I
can't believe that to be true.
Remember that MacOs had this feature for many years before KDE stole it.

Cheers.
--
Thomas Zander