[Fwd: KConfig on windows/msvc]

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Nov 5 16:47:36 GMT 2007

On Sunday 04 November 2007 17:10, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:47:47PM +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:

> > And regarding old language features...  If the reality is that other
> > platforms use compilers which don't support the latest and greatest
> > features we have two choices: 1) To adopt to the reality and actually
> > get KDE apps running on that platform.  2) To take the high road, put
> > our noses in the air and scoff at that old platform, but not get the
> > KDE apps running.  As a pragmatist, I prefer option 1).
>
> we agreed from day one that windows is no primary target and that we
> will not make major compromises for it. now, i don't want to sabotage
> those fool^Wpeople who want to port kde to windows, but it is sure not
> too big a request to try everything to keep the delta between the
> optimal (in terms of maintainability and aesthetics) and the implemented
> solution as small as possible.

First, I suspect the truthvalue of your statement depends very much on your
definition of "we".  Second, I also suspect that it depends very much on your
definition of "kde", since from what I'm hearing everybody[1] agrees that the
desktop environment won't get ported but the applications will.

Given that all[1] communication in blogs and marketing today tells me that the
applications indeed *are* going to run on Windows and Mac OS X, I see two
possibilities:  1. 'We' have changed our minds.  2. 'We' haven't agreed on
that at all.  I won't even speculate which it is. In any of those two cases
we should help the people who do the heavy lifting in this endeavor.

That said, of course we should try to minimize the delta between optimal and
implemented solution.  I think it was Einstein who said 'You should always
keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler'.

	-Inge

[1] For a similarly fuzzy definition of 'everybody' and 'all'.

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |