[Fwd: KConfig on windows/msvc]

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Nov 4 16:10:28 GMT 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:47:47PM +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Friday 02 November 2007 13:58, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > it is *your* responsibility to isolate a *minimal* change from the
> > *current* code that makes the problems go away.
> > rewriting large parts of the api in a way that pushes it 15 years
> > back in used language features is *no* option.
>
> This is not a very helpful attitude.  I, in my stupidity, thought that
> it was all our responsibility to make KDE work on all the platforms
> that we as a group chose to support.  Saying to an individual
> developer that it is "your responsibility" to fix something is very
> easy, but doesn't help KDE forward one bit.

it is the responsibility of those who a) have an interest in supporting
a particular platform (especially if it is so broken) and b) can test
it.

> And regarding old language features...  If the reality is that other
> platforms use compilers which don't support the latest and greatest
> features we have two choices: 1) To adopt to the reality and actually
> get KDE apps running on that platform.  2) To take the high road, put
> our noses in the air and scoff at that old platform, but not get the
> KDE apps running.  As a pragmatist, I prefer option 1).

we agreed from day one that windows is no primary target and that we
will not make major compromises for it. now, i don't want to sabotage
those fool^Wpeople who want to port kde to windows, but it is sure not
too big a request to try everything to keep the delta between the
optimal (in terms of maintainability and aesthetics) and the implemented
solution as small as possible.