[Fwd: KConfig on windows/msvc]

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sun Nov 4 15:47:47 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007 13:58, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 12:48:04PM +0100, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > Oswald Buddenhagen said the following, On 2007-10-30 11:00:
> >> however, most of this code was already there *before* the dreaded
> >> r721704. so *please*, pick on the changes between the two revisions to
> >> name what *exactly* makes this m$ crap go boom. don't expect something
> >> that even remotely makes sense ...
> >
> > r716081 compiles _cleanly_.
>
> you know, this doesn't really help.
> it is *your* responsibility to isolate a *minimal* change from the
> *current* code that makes the problems go away.
> rewriting large parts of the api in a way that pushes it 15 years back
> in used language features is *no* option.

This is not a very helpful attitude.  I, in my stupidity, thought that it was
all our responsibility to make KDE work on all the platforms that we as a
group chose to support.  Saying to an individual developer that it is "your
responsibility" to fix something is very easy, but doesn't help KDE forward
one bit.

And regarding old language features...  If the reality is that other platforms
use compilers which don't support the latest and greatest features we have
two choices: 1) To adopt to the reality and actually get KDE apps running on
that platform.  2) To take the high road, put our noses in the air and scoff
at that old platform, but not get the KDE apps running.  As a pragmatist, I
prefer option 1).

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |