What to do about KColor?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 30 19:14:00 BST 2007

Hans Meine wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007 17:47:29 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
>> Hans Meine wrote:
>>> Plus, the more developer-friendly high-level color creation functions
>>> that are still TODO, e.g. tintedTextColor(widget, tinting) where widget
>>> (or palette, ...) would be used to fetch the normal, untinted fg/bg
>>> colors.
>> This ties in to the usability stuff I keep talking about, there are
>> quite a few things to provide here, like 'darkContrast' which provides a
>> contrasting color, preferably darker than, but lighter than if necessary
>> (and similarly lightContrast, of course). Although I'm not exactly sure
>> what you are talking about with tintedTextColor, can you give an example?
>
> I was thinking about e.g. warning/error/OK texts that are given in
> orange/red/green.  In general, text editors with syntax highlighting could
> maybe use them too (e.g. keywords with green tinting)?

Ok, got you. And e.g. KATE should use these if we are able to get these
features completed.

> Maybe proper roles for such texts are better though - who knows whether the
> traffic light metaphor holds in all countries?  (I would hope so though.)

The traffic light metaphor might not work for people with disabilities
(i.e. full or partial color blindness), which is why the roles are
supposed to be customizable.

Anyway as you seem to have figured out, this is not tinting, this is
full blown new color roles, or at least that was the latest plan AFAIK.

See http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf

>>>  Oh, and then there are styles/themes with
>>> pixmaps as backgrounds (ouch!)..
>> I noticed that Qt4 allows setting the background (ahem) brush to a
>> pixmap (or gradient), but I don't think that is supported yet, it
>> requires a total overhaul of styles to work correctly.
>
> Yet there are already pixmap-using styles, and functions like darkContrast()
> should probably be able to find a proper contrasting color for such widgets,
> too.

Ok, I see what you're saying, but that's harder. By 'pixmap-using
styles' I take it you are thinking of e.g. Keramik? That's different
because they are using their own pixmaps, not ones set by the user
globally, i.e. they come from the style not Qt, which is what I was
thinking about.

Not to say this isn't a real issue, by any means, just that I don't
consider it as high a priority ATM. But feel free to help out :-).

Anyway this is drifting a bit off the topic of the original thread, I
would prefer to resume this later in a new thread.

--
Matthew
Ideas in this e-mail are larger than they appear and the writer may be