What to do about KColor?

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed May 30 17:56:03 BST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007 17:47:29 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
> Hans Meine wrote:
> > Plus, the more developer-friendly high-level color creation functions
> > that are still TODO, e.g. tintedTextColor(widget, tinting) where widget
> > (or palette, ...) would be used to fetch the normal, untinted fg/bg
> > colors.
>
> This ties in to the usability stuff I keep talking about, there are
> quite a few things to provide here, like 'darkContrast' which provides a
> contrasting color, preferably darker than, but lighter than if necessary
> (and similarly lightContrast, of course). Although I'm not exactly sure
> what you are talking about with tintedTextColor, can you give an example?

I was thinking about e.g. warning/error/OK texts that are given in
orange/red/green.  In general, text editors with syntax highlighting could
maybe use them too (e.g. keywords with green tinting)?

Maybe proper roles for such texts are better though - who knows whether the
traffic light metaphor holds in all countries?  (I would hope so though.)

> > Is e.g. support for bright-on-dark color schemes intended?
>
> I hope so, I use one! :-) Although my "dark" is still light enough for
> normal "darker" shadows to work OK so I may not count.
>
> And I believe the answer from the usability people is "yes, some people
> need such themes".

..which is probably the reason for the white-on-black "high contrast" theme
shipped with KDE.

> >  Oh, and then there are styles/themes with
> > pixmaps as backgrounds (ouch!)..
>
> I noticed that Qt4 allows setting the background (ahem) brush to a
> pixmap (or gradient), but I don't think that is supported yet, it
> requires a total overhaul of styles to work correctly.

Yet there are already pixmap-using styles, and functions like darkContrast()
should probably be able to find a proper contrasting color for such widgets,
too.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS