What to do about KColor?

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Wed May 30 00:06:33 BST 2007

Le Dimanche 27 Mai 2007 01:35, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :

> == Konqueror (4.0, already exists)
> Needs HSL support for CSS3 conformance. I just thought of this, and so
> have not checked if they already have a private implementation, or if
> this would be an instance where KColor could provide a new feature.

we do have a private implementation of a HSL to RGB converter in
khtml/misc/helper.cpp

As far as khtml stands, having HSL in kdelibs would simplify this code.

Also, I think that calling 500 lines of mathematical code bringing nice
features a 'bloat' is not just preposterous. It's grotesque.

Your argument about the strengh of HSL with regard to lighten() and darken()
is especially compelling, and is what convinced W3C too:

  "Advantages of HSL are that it is symmetrical to lightness and darkness
   (which is not the case with HSV for example),"

In light of this, I fully support this addition.

(as for my clame to expertise, it is restricted to coming up with
khtml::hasSufficientContrast's algorithm using hsv, which was a pain and
would very likely work better in HSL)

Greetings,
Germain