KDE and smartcard support

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Wed May 23 03:20:41 BST 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 19:08, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 May 2007 4:19 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> > Look, if this whole thing is not about smartcards but instead a
> > backhanded way to get us to give a blind blessing to throwing away
> > the code that's there and using QCA, you're just wasting all our
> > time.
>
> Hmm, the thread seems to be getting a little sour.
>
> I would certainly like to see all of KDE use QCA.  If smartcards are the
> way in, then I'd be pretty happy about that.  Personally, I'm mostly
> interested in providing a migration path for KDE away from openssl, as well
> as simply being responsible for a major component of my favorite desktop.
>
> However, Alon is here only for smartcards.  You can google his name, he
> makes a fuss at every project about including smartcard support, and he
> doesn't just talk, he writes code.  He has created patches, large code
> contributions, and sometimes entire replacement projects to accomplish his
> goal.
>
> Alon came to QCA, because he thought that it was the place to implement
> smartcard support for KDE.  Who could blame him?  QCA was part of
> kdesupport, it had rudimentary smartcard capability already (by me), and
> QSsl didn't exist yet.  The man is on a mission, and his smartcard plugin
> for QCA is several thousand lines and fully completed.
>
> I just wanted to admit my own bias here, but assure you that Alon is not
> politically motivated.  He's just very insistent, and rolls into every
> project like a boulder. :)
>
> -Justin

While I personally understand his want, I also see the other side of this to,
and agree with Aaron that we should meet in the middle ground instead of
bullying Thiago and George that "my way is better", since that comes off
fairly heavy handed, and people WON'T want to work with you if you call the
quality work they do crap. To be sure, the best thing to do now is follow
Aaron's blueprint of coming up with the front-end API, then the middle-ware
that will allow for a replacable backend, etc. This way we're getting
solutions instead of irritation on all sides.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel