KDE and smartcard support

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed May 23 00:29:06 BST 2007

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>The whole thread was started because we would like to add smartcard
>support into KDE, and by understanding that you are about to use
>QtSslSocket we know that this will be impossible mission. You can,
>however, switch into QCA and problem solved.

Just because QSslSocket doesn't support the feature *now*, it doesn't mean
it'll never support it. As with most other Qt new technologies, it starts
small and little by little adds more functionality.

You're making a baseless claim in the paragraph above.

>I don't wish to start maintaining a critical core KDE component, but
>supply the infrastructure of cryptography it is using. And if you
>already decided you want to switch into another implementation, all we
>ask is to use QCA one, this also solve the smartcards issue, and
>provide a common infrastructure to other cryptography in KDE.

And that's the problem. No one wants to work on KSSL. No one wants to port
the KDE component responsible for the policies and the certificate
management to any of the new backends.

I have said I will look at this in July. I reserve myself the right to
choose the implementation that best suits *me* at that time ("he who does
the work decides"). In the meantime, anyone can beat me to it and chose
another implementation.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358