KDE and smartcard support

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Wed May 23 03:08:00 BST 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 4:19 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> Look, if this whole thing is not about smartcards but instead a
> backhanded way to get us to give a blind blessing to throwing away
> the code that's there and using QCA, you're just wasting all our
> time.

Hmm, the thread seems to be getting a little sour.

I would certainly like to see all of KDE use QCA.  If smartcards are the way
in, then I'd be pretty happy about that.  Personally, I'm mostly interested
in providing a migration path for KDE away from openssl, as well as simply
being responsible for a major component of my favorite desktop.

However, Alon is here only for smartcards.  You can google his name, he makes
a fuss at every project about including smartcard support, and he doesn't
just talk, he writes code.  He has created patches, large code contributions,
and sometimes entire replacement projects to accomplish his goal.

Alon came to QCA, because he thought that it was the place to implement
smartcard support for KDE.  Who could blame him?  QCA was part of kdesupport,
it had rudimentary smartcard capability already (by me), and QSsl didn't
exist yet.  The man is on a mission, and his smartcard plugin for QCA is
several thousand lines and fully completed.

I just wanted to admit my own bias here, but assure you that Alon is not
politically motivated.  He's just very insistent, and rolls into every
project like a boulder. :)

-Justin